Re: [squid-users] Squid returns old Expires: header

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:28:55 +1300

Ed Eddington wrote:
> I'm having a problem where Squid is returning the cached Expires:
> header with a cached image. (These images are specified in CSS, so
> mouse roll-over is causing lots of re-requests for the images by the
> browser!) I have reload-into-ims turned on, so a browser reload turns
> into an If-Modified-Since request, which works as expected. The IMS
> response indicates 304 Not Modified and includes a new Expires: header
> in the future (and also includes a Last-Modified: header). However,
> Squid never updates the cached image with the newer Expires: date/time
> and always returns the one from the cached object (which is now months
> old). Any suggestions how I can get Squid to update the cached copy
> and return the newer Expires: date/time? Here's my refresh pattern:
>
> refresh_pattern . 60 0% 60 reload-into-ims

Well, you fail to mention your version of squid. But this is an old
problem with workarounds.

If you encounter problems with proxies configured to violate HTTP.
Expect to be told to unconfigure the violation.

So:
  - upgrade to the latest squid release to get the latest fix for this
  - bypass the reload-to-ims for these images
  - purge the current items from your cache.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+