RE: [squid-users] Unable to access a website through Suse/Squid.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:59:40 +0200

lör 2008-04-05 klockan 10:11 -0400 skrev Terry Dobbs:
> The internet line is DSL, and does use a username/password (PPoE).
> However, on the actual DSL router (provided by ISP) I don't see any MTU
> options.

PPPoE means a lower MTU than the internet default of 1500, so any sites
not capable of performing Path MTU discovery properly will fail to
communicate with you. Path MTU problems is still quite common,
especially with people running homegrown firewalls where they add a
simple "drop all ICMP traffic, people should not ping us" rule,
forgetting that TCP/IP also makes significant use of ICMP..

> I will have to look into ip tables. I can add static routes via the
> interface card which are permanent, however doing it this way doesn't
> give me any options for mss, mtu, etc.. All I can enter this way is
> Source, Destination, Gateway.

You can try the following iptables rule:

iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o outinterface -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1440