Re: [squid-users] tcp_denied

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:23:07 +1200

Jigar Raval wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have observed that on our system there is a link of
> dss1.siteadvisor.com generating background request and
> hence we were getting error in access.log file.
> Error was TCP_DENIED/400 error:invalid reuqest.
> Our proxy server is configured with authentication.
> When we enable transparent setting in http_port, the
> log was showing lots of request going to
> http://dss1.siteadvisor.com:3128/DSS/Ping? etc.. When
> we disable transparent it was showing error as
> mentioned above.
>
> I could not find out why squid generates such error.
> We stopped siteadvisor service on system and
> everything is fine.
>
> Any idea why squid generates such error? How to
> overcome from this?

HTTP messages through a proxy is slightly different to raw HTTP.

You are sending transparently intercepted raw HTTP traffic at squid.
Squid needs the 'http_port ... transparent' setting in order to
understand and handle the URI formats of raw HTTP.

You can either stop intercepting the packets, or configure squid
properly to handle them.

SiteAdvisor is a good and useful service providing security for many
people. I'd advise you to configure your squid properly rather than
turning it off.

Amos