[squid-users] DNS options for Windows port of Squid 2.6

From: H.Lekin <h.lekin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 13:25:28 +0200

Hello list,

I wish to run the Windows port of Squid 2.6 on an XP system with dial up
access. The name server is supposed to be taken from the registry. This
value is only set after dialing in, i.e. there is no name server defined
when the service starts (cache.log: Warning: Could not find any
nameservers...).

As several ISPs are used, dns_nameservers can't be specified in
squid.conf.; the name server of ISP 1 does not work when dialed in via
ISP 2. The public resolver name servers of the Open Root Server Network
are blocked by the ISPs. The only DNS proxy - Acrylic - I could find
needs a specified name server.

Reconfiguring the Squid service with the -k option after being dialed in
works in principle, but is not allowed from an user's account
(OpenSCManager failed). There might be a workaround by setting the
SERVICE_INTERACTIVE_PROCESS flag for The Squid service. This sounds
rather dubious; moreover I do not know how to script an internet
connection detector to start the reconfiguration.

Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greetings,
H.Lekin