Re: [squid-users] cache_dir (dirty) question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 14:09:26 +0200

On tis, 2008-05-06 at 06:45 -0300, Michel (M) wrote:

> lets say the swap.state is corrupt for any reason I can delete it and
> squid should rebuild it correctly right?

Yes, but some information is lost when doing so, and it will take a very
very long time if your cache is large.

> so since squid does this swap.state -> swap.state.new -> swap.state thing
> anyway I could change my startup script to delete any swap.state before
> starting squid to make sure it is coming up clean, or am I wrong here?

Partially wrong.

There is information in swap.state that can not be rebuilt from the
cache directory. Mainly freshness updates and access counters.

The rewrite of swap.state on startup/rotate is to compact the file
pruning out no longer relevant details. While running swap.state is used
as a journal for the cache.

If swap.state is lost Squid will attempt to rebuild the cache index from
the individual files, but not all information is available in the
individual files and additionally it's a very I/O intensive task as each
file has to be opened and read..