Re: [squid-users] What's missing from 2.6 for full HTTP/1.1 support?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_creative.net.au>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:29:11 +0800

On Fri, May 16, 2008, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a few folks ask me what exactly is missing from squid
> (2.6STABLE18 in our case) that prevents it from advertising itself as
> an HTTP/1.1 client. We've run across the occasional origin server
> that, for whatever reason, is throwing away *all* 1.1-specific headers
> - including Host:, which causes the most breakage - and it's been
> suggested that we modify the source to hard-code the GET to say HTTP/
> 1.1, even though per spec I know this really shouldn't be done.
>
> So the question I have is - what exactly is missing from squid 2.6
> that prevents full HTTP/1.1 support? I know this is a milestone goal,
> but I'm curious where the code is today (vs., say, where is in 3.0,
> and planned future versions).

I'd start by saying "move to Squid-2.7" before thinking about HTTP/1.1
if you wanted to stay in the -2 train.

The big thing is to sort out some kind of flow control so 1xx responses
were handled. There's very limited communication between the client and
server side at the moment.

Chunked encoding needs to be properly supported for both client and server
side stuff, for requests and replies.

That'd be a good starting point. Henrik understands what needs to happen
quite a bit better than I do. But a lot of the stuff to make HTTP/1.1
happen involves some code reorganisation and none of us have the time
to do that; and noone bar me is going to end up doing it to a Squid-2
tree on our own dime..

Adrian