Re: [squid-users] cache manager access

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:31:19 -0800

cc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have "Squid: The Definitive guide" and have installed
> v2.6STABLE 16 installed.
>
> I'm *quite* confused as to how to access the cache-manager.
> The book has the following:
> Cache Host: localhost
> Cache Port: 3128
> Manager Name:
> Password:
>
> <continue>
>
> Whereas the new version has:
>
> Cache Server: localhost:3128
> Cache Host:
> Cache Port:
> Manager Name:
> Password:
>
> <continue>
>
> What is the difference between Cache Server and Cache
> host?

The cachemgr.cgi included with 2.6 has its own config file
(cachemgr.conf, stored in the same directory as the squid.conf file).
In this config file you can specify which Squid caches the CGI is
allowed to query. If you want the functionality of the old version, a
cachemgr.conf containing the string *:* (asterix colon asterix) will
give you the option of specifying the host and port.

> Anyway, I've set the Cache Server to the server which
> has Squid running. Cache host the same value. Port
> 3128.
>
> I enter the manager name, and then the password.
>
> I click Continue.
>
> I'm then given the following page:
>
> Security Hazard
> Access to cache_object://system/ is not permitted.
>
> Due to security issues, access to this site has been reevoked
> until further notice.
>
> Your cache administrator is the webmaster.
>
> I don't remember the last time I tried doing this,
> but I do recall also having trouble figuring this out.
> But I don't recall having this security hazard message
> shown.
>
> According to the squid.conf, I have:
>
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access allow manager admin_sys
> http_access allow manager system
> http_access deny manager !admin_sys !system
>
> Am I missing something else?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Ed

Chris