Re: [squid-users] Re: Refresh-Patterns

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:08:14 -0800

Frank Helmschrott wrote:
> really no one with an idea on this topic?

It's been discussed quite thoroughly in the archives, but I feel like
avoiding work, so...

> 2008/6/20 Frank Helmschrott <fhelmschrott_at_gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i've still got problems understandig refresh rules completely. I've
>> setup these rules:
>>
>> refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
>> refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
>> refresh_pattern . 5 75% 15

First off, you'll want this line last. It will match anything, and make
the following refresh_patterns superfluous.

>> refresh_pattern -i \.css$ 1440 90% 3660 override-expire
>> reload-into-ims ignore-reload

I don't think you want both "reload-into-ims" and "ignore-reload". The
former is only useful if the server supplies Last Modified headers, and
the latter should ignore the client's no-cache request out right.

>> refresh_pattern -i \.jpg$ 600 75% 1440 override-expire reload-into-ims
>> ignore-reload
>> refresh_pattern -i \.png$ 600 75% 1440 override-expire reload-into-ims
>> ignore-reload
>> refresh_pattern -i \.gif$ 600 75% 1440 override-expire reload-into-ims
>> ignore-reload
>> refresh_pattern -i -live- 1 75% 2 override-expire override-lastmod
>> reload-into-ims ignore-reload
>>
>> I'd want to force css and images not to be refreshed from the
>> application server by a simple browser reload and also i need some
>> more buffer for Pages containing "-live-" in the url. These are kinda
>> live tickers where people permanently refresh the page. I need them to
>> get buffered for 1-2 minutes until they get fetched again from the app
>> server.
>>
>> With this rules when refreshing a page that contains "-live-" in the
>> url squid fetches all the images, css and the page itself from the
>> application server.

What headers does the application server supply with said images, css
and the page itself. You might need to add "ignore-no-cache",
"ignore-no-store" and/or "ignore-private" (or even better, fix the
application server to send out cache friendly headers).

>> What am i doing wrong? I guess there's some basic misunderstanding
>> between me and squid ;) I'm using 2.6.5 from the debian stable
>> repositories (Etch).
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> --
>> Frank