Re: [squid-users] Re: How to make the prefetched file cached ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 01:17:11 +0200

On fre, 2008-06-27 at 18:44 +0800, WestWind wrote:
> I notice when I set quick_abort_pct to -1 KB, the file is cached , BUT
> the range_offset_limit not work, when request range >
> range_offset_limit, the file sill prefetched and cached.

Is it? The two does not have much to do with each other... in fact
nothing except for them fighting a bit over the same object.. (see
below).

Yes, there is a misfeature in that Squid aborts the download after
sending the last piece requested by the client if quick_abort is enabled
(the default). So for prefetching of ranges one must both enable a
suitable range_offset_limit and disable quick_abort..

I would not recommend enabling range_offset_limit in a normal Internet
proxy as it can easily suck up all your available bandwidth. But
running with a configuration like the above makes a lot of sense in
reverse proxy setups however..