Re: [squid-users] bypass proxy for local addresses

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:02:02 +1200

Shaine wrote:
> For instance , if squid runs in port 8080 , when a specific url comes into
> the squid via port 8080 , before it receives to port 8080 cant we redirect
> to a web server , which that url searching?

Not without receiving it. Hmm, here is a little scenario...

Given two security-sealed envelopes, both addressed from the same source
to you. One has a bill for a million dollars in it and the other has a
cheque for same.

   Now, without opening or even seeing either of them, tell your mailman
to deliver the one with a cheque to your bank and the one with the bill
to your accountant.

What you are asking Squid to do is exactly the same. By the time the
envelope (packet) is opened the mailman refuses to send it again without
you paying for re-enveloping and re-postage.

What you have to do is get the sender (client browser) to address both
to the right places at the very start.

Thats what WPAD/PAC does.

Amos