Re: [squid-users] helperOpenServers: "-s is not supported on this resolver"

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:14:14 +1200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tor, 2008-07-10 at 09:30 -0500, Rhino wrote:
>> Running squid-2.7.STABLE1-20080528 on Debian linux 2.6.19.7 kernel
>> using wccp2 and iptables for transparency.
>> Squid was configured with --disable-internal-dns and have "dns_children
>> 96" "dns_defnames off" and "dns_nameservers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in my squid.conf file.
>
> Why --disable-internal-dns?
>
>> Question concerns the cache.log entries I see when starting squid -
>> immediately following "helperOpenServers: Starting 96 'dnsserver'
>> processes" I get several log lines which read "-s is not supported on
>> this resolver". Where would this flag be set, and how do I modify the
>> startup config to avoid the error?
>
> It means the dnsserver settings in squid.conf is not active because
> Squid could not figure out how to tell the system resolver what dns
> servers to use, and instead /etc/resolv.conf is used.
>
> You should get rid of the warning if you take out any dns server address
> specifications from squid.conf. Those are ignored anyway in your setup
> (for some reason...)

Linux in general and Debian specifically has a different way of setting
the system resolver IP's than *BSD. This has been fixed in 3-HEAD/3.1
simply for the sake of fixing it, but IIRC has not been down-ported
anywhere due to the following...

The preferred method in Squid is to use the internal DNS library. The
dnsserver helper is obsolete except in some very specific legacy network
configurations.

> Another recommendation is to not build Squid with
> --disable-internal-dns, instead let Squid use the default internal dns
> client which performs noticeable better (and more conformant to
> specifications).
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Amos