Re: [squid-users] helperOpenServers: "-s is not supported on this resolver"

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:53:24 +0200

On tor, 2008-07-10 at 09:30 -0500, Rhino wrote:
> Running squid-2.7.STABLE1-20080528 on Debian linux 2.6.19.7 kernel
> using wccp2 and iptables for transparency.
> Squid was configured with --disable-internal-dns and have "dns_children
> 96" "dns_defnames off" and "dns_nameservers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in my squid.conf file.

Why --disable-internal-dns?

> Question concerns the cache.log entries I see when starting squid -
> immediately following "helperOpenServers: Starting 96 'dnsserver'
> processes" I get several log lines which read "-s is not supported on
> this resolver". Where would this flag be set, and how do I modify the
> startup config to avoid the error?

It means the dnsserver settings in squid.conf is not active because
Squid could not figure out how to tell the system resolver what dns
servers to use, and instead /etc/resolv.conf is used.

You should get rid of the warning if you take out any dns server address
specifications from squid.conf. Those are ignored anyway in your setup
(for some reason...)

Another recommendation is to not build Squid with
--disable-internal-dns, instead let Squid use the default internal dns
client which performs noticeable better (and more conformant to
specifications).