Re: [squid-users] Squid requirements

From: Richard Hubbell <richard_hubbe11_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 7/16/08, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] Squid requirements
> To: "Chris Robertson" <crobertson_at_gci.net>
> Cc: "Squid Users" <squid-users_at_squid-cache.org>
> Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 9:28 AM
> What we're really missing is a bunch of "hardware
> x, config y, testing
> z, results a, b, c." TMF used to have some stuff up
> for older hardware
> but there's just nothing recent to use as a measuring
> stick..

The problem is that there's so much disparate technology out there.
multi-core cpus, all kinds of different memory, all kinds of different disk technologies, different filesystems, different OS, different kernels, and on and on. It's hard to get useful measuring sticks.

I still think it's a useful pursuit. But I think that the reasons above make people less inclined to do it.

spec.org tries to level the field, if someone concocted a level field and made it easy for people to do, then we'd see more results.