Re: [squid-users] Squid and polygraph

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:29:14 +0800

2008/7/30 Marcos Dutra <macdutra_at_gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to make benchmark in my squid configuration, but which
> workload is the best to test?
> I just test with polymix-1.pg with ntlm auth and polygraph version 3.1.5.
> When I know the squid is slow, how muck the max requests support?

Well, Squid is going to be slower then some of the commercial proxies,
but you should be able to obtain at least 500 req/sec on decent
hardware + disks on polymix-4.

http://www.cacheboy.net/benchmarks.html

I say 'at least' because thats what I've benchmarked Squid-2 /
Cacheboy at thus far. It looks like it'll go further but I don't have
enough polygraph boxes yet to run the tests at a higher throughput.

I don't see why I couldn't get to about 800 req/sec on my test
hardware given enough polygraph boxes and using COSS instead of AUFS.
At that point though I'll run out of steam on one of the Xeon cores.

It should go much faster than 500 req/sec if you're not using disks.
Again, I just don't have enough polygraph boxes yet to run the tests
and polygraph still uses poll/select limiting its throughput on
current hardware. :/

Adrian