Re: [squid-users] Squid and polygraph

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:15:25 +0800

2008/7/30 Marcos Dutra <macdutra_at_gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/30 Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>:
>> (gah, why oh why won't gmail do what I said with my damned From:? Oh well..)
>
> Sorry :(

Hey, that isn't your fault. It just means I occasionally seem to
misfile emails. Anyway..

>> 2008/7/30 Marcos Dutra <macdutra_at_gmail.com>:
>> cacheboy is "just" Squid-2.HEAD with a whole lot of code shuffling.
>> Squid-2.HEAD should contain all of the 2.7 and 2.6 NTLM authentication
>> stuff.
>
> It's cool, I will test cacheboy.

Well, I'm all for cacheboy testing (as its mostly Squid-2.HEAD testing
too!) but I'd be very surprised right now if there was a measurable
performance difference between Squid-2.6/Squid-2.7 and Cacheboy in
your environment.

> Yeah, I running polygraph with NTLM for test performance, but I would
> like more performance on this server.

What metrics are you using for "more performance" ?

>> The lookup speed may be related to authentication. Have you tried
>> disabling authentication for a specific desktop machine and try
>> browsing?

> I don't it this yet, but the authentication I think is not a problem,
> I will try this.

Well, its worth ruling out authentication as a contributing factor.
NTLM authentication using Samba isn't the fastest of things..

> One question, squid Vs cacheboy comparision which the better?

At the present time? Mostly subjective. Cacheboy is "adrian's idea of
where Squid-2 should've gone and should be going" ; the best way to
compare Squid-(2, 3) and Cacheboy is to look at the developers, the
development, the roadmap, and see which suits you better.

There's no real performance or functionality reason to move over to
Cacheboy but I won't say no to more users. I'd like the
positive/negative feedback :)

Adrian