Re: [squid-users] Squid and polygraph

From: Marcos Dutra <macdutra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:34:55 -0300

2008/7/30 Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>:
> 2008/7/30 Marcos Dutra <macdutra_at_gmail.com>:
>> 2008/7/30 Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>:
>>> (gah, why oh why won't gmail do what I said with my damned From:? Oh well..)
>>
>> Sorry :(
>
> Hey, that isn't your fault. It just means I occasionally seem to
> misfile emails. Anyway..
>
>>> 2008/7/30 Marcos Dutra <macdutra_at_gmail.com>:
>>> cacheboy is "just" Squid-2.HEAD with a whole lot of code shuffling.
>>> Squid-2.HEAD should contain all of the 2.7 and 2.6 NTLM authentication
>>> stuff.
>>
>> It's cool, I will test cacheboy.
>
> Well, I'm all for cacheboy testing (as its mostly Squid-2.HEAD testing
> too!) but I'd be very surprised right now if there was a measurable
> performance difference between Squid-2.6/Squid-2.7 and Cacheboy in
> your environment.

Why do you working in two projects?

>> Yeah, I running polygraph with NTLM for test performance, but I would
>> like more performance on this server.
>
> What metrics are you using for "more performance" ?

I used basicaly req/sec and conections in port 3128. The time of open
page in the browser is very important too.

>>> The lookup speed may be related to authentication. Have you tried
>>> disabling authentication for a specific desktop machine and try
>>> browsing?
>
>> I don't it this yet, but the authentication I think is not a problem,
>> I will try this.
>
> Well, its worth ruling out authentication as a contributing factor.
> NTLM authentication using Samba isn't the fastest of things..

Why in my tests with polygraph, when "netstat -an |grep 3306| wc" up
to more 5000 connections and my squid don't open page or if open is
much slow?
When netstat up to 7000 connections, squidclient mgr:info show me
around 13000 req/minute maximum number.
After minutes this values down in 1 hour the medium is 8000 req/minute.

>> One question, squid Vs cacheboy comparision which the better?
>
> At the present time? Mostly subjective. Cacheboy is "adrian's idea of
> where Squid-2 should've gone and should be going" ; the best way to
> compare Squid-(2, 3) and Cacheboy is to look at the developers, the
> development, the roadmap, and see which suits you better.
>
> There's no real performance or functionality reason to move over to
> Cacheboy but I won't say no to more users. I'd like the
> positive/negative feedback :)
>

> Adrian

Ps. I used your workload in my tests but failed :(. Well see this
after lunch here!

Thanks
Marcos