Re: [squid-users] redirect_children and Squid 3

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:59:47 -0900

Tom Williams wrote:
> I'm running Squid 3.0STABLE10 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 and I
> noticed the following message in my cache.log file;
>
> 2008/11/16 15:05:07| client_side.cc(2701) WARNING! Your cache is
> running out of filedescriptors
>
> I was doing a performance test using Apache's "ab" tool at the time
> the message was generated.
>
> I did a Google search on the message and found this mailing list thread:
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200402/0560.html
>
> My question is: is the redirect_children option supported in Squid 3?
>
> Are the suggestions for resolving the issue causing the "Your cache
> is running out of filedescriptors" message applicable to Squid 3? The
> suggestions are:
>
> *) Setting /ulimit -HSn 8192/ when compiling and starting Squid:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200402/0563.html

Probably your best bet. You might just try running...

ulimit -n 8192 && /path/to/squid -Nd9

...to see if you really need to recompile.

> *) Turning off half_closed_clients, server_persistent_connections,
> and client_persistent_connections:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200402/0570.html

While these have a good chance of lowering your file descriptor usage,
they may also affect performance.

> *) Increase the setting of the redirect_children tag:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200402/0581.html

This suggestion is for eliminating the...

WARNING: All redirector processes are busy.
WARNING: 5 pending requests queued
Consider increasing the number of redirector processes

...error. Running more redirectors is likely to utilize more file
descriptors, not less.

And for what it's worth, for Squid 2.6+ and 3.0+ the recognized options
are url_rewrite_children and url_rewrite_concurrency.

> Thanks!
>
> Peace...
>
> Tom

Chris