Re: [squid-users] Sending mail through port 80

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:30:15 +0100

On 05.12.08 01:24, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Once the connections reach squid its far too late to ignore them.
>
> Your ISP is offering severely broken service and needs a good yelling
> at. Providing a public service over port-80 is downright foolish.
>
> There are several different ranges of port available (25, 587-589, and
> 15**) for SMTP servers under various scenarios and security needs.

check if they don't use 587 and/or 465 (the latter should be SSL'ed, the
former may be TLS'ed). If they don't, ask for it.

I understand some mail providera may run smtp (pop3, imap) on port 80,
because there are firewalls blocking anything but 80 (and maybe 443) and not
inspecting it... However both behaviours are buggy and should be avoided

"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]