Re: [squid-users] SQUID and Checkpoint UTM problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:20:36 +1300 (NZDT)

> Dear Support Team,
>
> I have a Checkpoint Firewall UTM 270 with Web
> Filtering function. I have a LAN, DMZ and WAN. In my DMZ I have a SQUID
> Proxy Server (Squid 2.6 delivered with CentOS 5.2) with Dansguardian (Web
> Filtering and user group based
> filtering program) installed. Before I had a Juniper Firewall without
> Web Filtering function with the same Proxy Server config. My problem is
> that now with Checkpoint I must add the IP address of my firewall in
> the ACL's of the proxy server to accessed the internet and in my log
> files I only can see the firewall's IP address and not my users IP
> address. I did monitoring with Squid. Can someone help me? Thanks.

You need to do Policy Routing or WCCP from the firewall to the proxy. It
sounds exactly like the firewall is performing NAT, which destroys the
client IP info you need to monitor.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/

> PS:
> I did buy this firewall because my reseller told me that this firewall
> have proxy function with Active Directory connection and user group
> based web filtering. Now that I had this firewall I see that it didn't
> make AD connection neighter user group based web filtering. I hoped to
> remove the Proxy Server and now I must keept it.

Sold under false premise, you should get your money back from them or a
replacement that works as advertised.

> Kind regards

Amos