Re: [squid-users] Squid fails

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:00:50 +1300 (NZDT)

> Amos,
>
> I rebuilt squid:
>
> Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE12
> configure options: '--prefix=/usr/local/squid'
> '--sysconfdir=/etc/squid' '--enable-delay-pools'
> '--enable-kill-parent-hack' '--disable-htcp'
> '--enable-default-err-language=Spanish' '--enable-linux-netfilter'
> '--disable-ident-lookups' '--disable-internal-dns'
> '--localstatedir=/var/log/squid' '--enable-stacktraces'
> '--with-default-user=proxy' '--with-large-files'
>
> I added disable internal dns and squid has being working fine. Its being
> working for about 2 days without a crash where the previous built only
> worked for a couple of hours and then crash.
>
> Is it ok to run it like this even though is performing better than it was?

Depends on your use of Squid. Its okay to do that for something like a
personal relay. But the blocking-lookup helper does not scale to any sort
of reasonable production use.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Dnsserver

You really should fix the DNS problem that squid was encountering. It is
likely to be screwing up other software in your network as well.

PS. you have yet to publish the error page squid is displaying so we can
see what the problem is when it appears during regular use.

Amos