Re: [squid-users] squid 2.6 accelerator mode

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:24:04 +1300 (NZDT)

> I'm trying to get squid to work as a reverse proxy in front of a
> single web server which runs domain virtualhosts:
>
> http_port in:80 vhost
> cache_peer out parent 80 0 originserver
> 'in' is my input address, 'out' is the address of of the web server.
>
> The problem that I have is that each requests takes a considerable
> time to process (in which time squid is trying to resolve the Host:
> hostname and since I dont have a dns on the squid box, resolve never
> succeeds). Eventually the page is served, it just waits through some
> timeout on every request. Adding my vhosts to /etc/hosts on the squid
> box solves the issue.
>
> Can I have an accelerator for a single backend server with vhosts,
> without the need to resolve the Host: header (or if not possible, how
> to effectivly workaround it, adding all vhosts to /etc/hosts is not an
> option)?

The recommended reverse-proxy accelerator setup does not require DNS in
any form.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/BasicAccelerator

It is possible to direct "cache_peer_access blah allow all" to the web
server if you only have one backend and all domains go to it. Just note
that this removes any false-domain restrictions squid might otherwise
provide, and only works with a single back-end.

Amos