Re: [squid-users] Getting error msgs when trying to start squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:47:58 +1200

Henrique M. wrote:

> twinturbo-2 wrote:
>> Also what version are you running? is this a hand crafted config or one
>> borrowed from somwhere else?
>>
>> Post up the confg from lines 66 to 106
>>
>> Rob
>>

> I was running the default squid for ubuntu server 8.10 which is the version
> 2.7 stable. I'm using the default squid.conf that was installed together
> with squid 2.7 and I don't really know if I need these command lines or not,
> so for now I can comment them to see if I can get squid to work.

Okay. Since they were obsoleted by 2.6 you don't. The bigger issue is
how you got a config like that out of a 2.7 bundle!

> In the meantime, since squid 2.7 wasn't working I installed squid3 and tried
> to run it, which also didn't work, but this time it only gave me a "fail"
> message, it doesn't describes what it wrong.
>
> I would like to keep the newer version of squid installed instead of moving
> to the old one again, could you guys tell me where squid3 keep its error
> messages?

'error messages' in web terminology means something completely different
which can be 'kept'.

I assume you mean where doe sit send the startup error output? That is
usually sent to syslog by Debian/Ubuntu during init process and then
when squid is going to the /var/logs/squid3/cache.log

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6