Re: [squid-users] Getting error msgs when trying to start squid

From: Henrique M. <henriquemarrocos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:

> Henrique M. wrote:
>>
>> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:
>>> acl localhost src 192.168.2.5 # 192.168.2.5 Server IP, 192.168.2.1
>>> Modem
>>> IP
>>>
>>> "localhost" is a special term used in networking to mean the IPs
>>> 127.0.0.1
>>> and sometimes ::1 as well. When defining an ACL for 'public' squid box
>>> IPs
>>> its better to use a different name. The localnet definition covers the
>>> same public IPs anyway so redefining it is not a help here.
>>>

>> So what do you suggest? Should I just erase this line or change it?
>
> Make it back to:
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1
>

>> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:
>>> http_access allow all
>>>
>>> This opens the proxy to access from any source on the internet at all.
>>> Zero inbound security. Not good for a long-term solution. I'd suggest
>>> testing with that as a "deny all" to make sure we don't get a
>>> false-success.
>>>

>> Will do that. How about the "icp_access"? What does this command do?
>> Should
>> I leave it "allow all"?
>
> Allows other machines which have your squid set as a cache_peer to send
> ICP requests to you and get replies back. Current Squid default it off
> for extra security. Unless you need it, do: icp_access deny all
>

>> joost.deheer wrote:
>>> Define "doesn't work". Clients get an error? Won't start? Something
>>> else?
>>>

>> Squid seems to starts, but clients can't browse the internet. They get
>> the
>> default error msg that the browser shows when it can't load the
>> website.
>> This actualy got me thinking if I am setting up the browser correctly?
>> I'm
>> typing the servers IP for the proxy address and "3128" for the proxy
>> port,
>> is that correct?
>
> I believe so yes.
> * Make sure its set for HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and Gopher but not SOCKS
> proxy settings. (some may not be present).
>
> * Check the testing client machine can get to squid (ping or such).
> Check the cache.log to see if Squid is failing or busy at the time you
> are checking.
>
> * make sure that squid is actually running and opened port 3128.
> "netstat -antup | grep 3128" or similar commands should say.
>

>> joost.deheer wrote:
>>> You could also try to start the proxy with 'squid -N' to start squid as
>>> console application instead of in daemon mode. The errors should then
>>> appear on your screen.
>>>

>> How should I do that? I tried to start squid with "/etc/init.d/squid -N
>> start" and "/etc/init.d/squid -N" but I didn't work. I end up finding
>> out
>> that I could check squid's status and for my surprise I got this message
>> "*
> [...]

Thanks a lot Amos, Squid is now working on server and on client machines. I
figured that squid wasn't running because there were a few folders that were
not available for squid to use (probably cache folders).

This is actually something that I would like to understand. Does squid cache
files and webpages automatically or do I have to add a few command lines to
enable it?

How about the about of memory RAM used by squid and the amount of disk
available for cache? Do I have to set this up or not? If not what are the
default values?