Re: [squid-users] WCCP return method

From: kgardenia42 <kgardenia42_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 20:31:14 +0100

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> kgardenia42 wrote:
>>
>> On 4/30/09, Ritter, Nicholas <Nicholas.Ritter_at_americantv.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> * WCCP supports a return method for packets which the web-cache
>>> decides to reject/return.  Does squid support this?  I see that the
>>> return method can be configured in squid but is the support for
>>> returning actually there?
>>>
>>> I dunno about this one.
>>
>> Does anyone know the answer to this?  I'd just like to know what squid
>> can do when it comes to "return method".
>
> Only whats documented.
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/wccp2_return_method/

In what circumstances would squid decided to trigger the return
mechanism currently? I was looking at the source and I couldn't see
where this might be implemented.

One of the reasons I ask is that since I'm using iptables to forward
things to the local squid port that came to me via WCCP I was
wondering if it was feasible to take squid out of the loop just by
changing my iptables rules to reject packets forwarded by WCCP but I
don't know enough but WCCP return methods to know if it is possible to
use the return method mechanism to return such packets back to the
router.

Can anyone who is knowledgeable about this please help?

Thanks,