Re: [squid-users] Tuning problem in squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:56:22 +1200

Thanigairajan wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am facing some performance issues in squid .
>
> i.e. I have Debian etch with squid,squidguard,shorewall.
> Internet is working in normal speed if clients are approx 50 .
> If clients are approx 70 -100 it is getting very slow.
>
> I googled for tuning and done the following things,
> redirect_children 10
> cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 1000 16 256
> cache_mem 48 MB
> pipeline_prefetch on
> fqdncache_size 2048
> maximum_object_size 8192 KB
>
> Can you please suggest me how can i improve much ?

* Try AUFS cache_dir type. Works well, even in Etch.

* You have heaps of RAM, bump up the cache_mem if you can. That will
leave more objects in RAM-cache for faster fetches.

* only 1GB of cache is currently allocated. test increasing that a bit
as well.

* turn off pipeline_prefetch.

* turn on collaped_forwarding.

* do what you can to eliminate the redirector.
    that may mean fast ACLs and url_rewrite_access

* use the latest squid.

If things continue, check the cachemgr stats and see if there is any
indication of whats slowing things down.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1