Re: [squid-users] Computers on my network cannot access internet via Squid cache

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:35:10 -0800

Mark Lodge wrote:

> I have installed debian to run Squid cache as a caching proxy.
> Ive been bashing away now for 2 days and i have managed to install
> squid (i first tried manually, but that did not work so i used
> synaptic software packager to install it (from Administration menu)
> That went well, thereafter i installed webamin to work with squid in a
> GUI
>
> I have managed to start squid and added my range of IP addresses to
> the ACL list ( as mentioned here:
> http://doxfer.com/Webmin/SquidProxyServer )
> I have added the proxy restriction too.
>
> Now, i tried to test it.
> I opened Iceweasel Web browser (on the same machine) and setit to use
> the Proxy server: localhost and port:3128
> That works fine.

That's a good start.

> But when i try to change the proxy setting to my machines ip (where
> squid is installed) :
> Proxy server: 10.0.0.35 and port:3128
> That does not work.

In what way does it not work? Do you get a Squid error page? Does your
browser time out? Are there any hints in the access.log?

> Am i missing something, please help
> I then tried to set another windows PC on the network to:
> Proxy server: 10.0.0.35 and port:3128
> That also does not work.
>
> I also edited the conf file to http_access allow all, but i do not
> know if i have doen it correctly,

Displaying your config file (preferably devoid of comments and blank
lines) would help.

> but maybe there is another problem?

There could very well be. Given the information given, I'd guess (in
decreasing order of likelihood):
1) your server has a firewall preventing access to port 3128
2) the http_access rules are ordered incorrectly
or
3) your server is only listening on localhost

> I would really appreciate your comments and help
> Thank you in advance

Chris