Re: [squid-users] Is something out there bamboozling Squid?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:31:32 +1200

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:19:49 -0600, Brett Glass
<squid-users_at_brettglass.com>
wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Just this past week, our Squid cache has become balky, with long
> page loads from some sites and timeouts or partial page loads from
> others. (It's gotten to the point where performance is better
> without the cache.) I thought that it was just us, but another
> system administrator in town has complained of the same symptom:
> weird delays through the cache and none without it.

Time to run through the checklist. What version of squid?
What do network times and loads look like? hardware access time for the
disks etc?
Is one of the routers somewhere dropping packets?

And some weird ones that are becoming issues:
 has your upstream started interception proxy?
 are they doing carrier NAT on you?

> Is there some popular site out there which has started doing
> something that ties Squid in knots?

Your the only one who can really answer that. What shift in destination
sites have you noticed?

Amos