Re: [squid-users] Is something out there bamboozling Squid?

From: George Herbert <george.herbert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:01:59 -0700

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Amos Jeffries<squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:19:49 -0600, Brett Glass
> <squid-users_at_brettglass.com>
> wrote:
>> Everyone:
>>
>> Just this past week, our Squid cache has become balky, with long
>> page loads from some sites and timeouts or partial page loads from
>> others. (It's gotten to the point where performance is better
>> without the cache.) I thought that it was just us, but another
>> system administrator in town has complained of the same symptom:
>> weird delays through the cache and none without it.
>
> Time to run through the checklist. What version of squid?
> What do network times and loads look like? hardware access time for the
> disks etc?
> Is one of the routers somewhere dropping packets?
>
> And some weird ones that are becoming issues:
>  has your upstream started interception proxy?
>  are they doing carrier NAT on you?
>

>> Is there some popular site out there which has started doing
>> something that ties Squid in knots?
>
> Your the only one who can really answer that. What shift in destination
> sites have you noticed?

I've noticed an increase in disk cache corruption incidents with Squid
3.0-STABLE14 on CentOS in large scale production, this week.

I'm seeing between 8 and 15% of my systems getting screwed up each day.

I do not have any URLs I've identified that are different. We have
statistically consistently widely diverse destinations out on the
internet - we're proxying / cacheing for mobile devices.

I have no clear indication this is an external problem source, it
could be something internal.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert_at_gmail.com