Re: [squid-users] Tproxy 4.1 question....

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:09:52 +1200

Stephan Viljoen wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I was just wondering whether a Tproxy setup is still possible when running
> Squid and iptables on two different servers? Http traffic will pass through
> the iptables firewall , get marked and then routed to the proxy server which
> if I understand things correctly should forward the request as the customers
> IP address.

No. Such a setup as you describe in fact has _two_ iptables and Squid
involved.

The nature of TPROXY is that it switches IP-layer details around as they
enter Squid and allows Squid to send packets using the client IP. Due to
that first bit, it _cannot_ work on a machine other than the Squid box.

You want the firewall iptables to be doing regular policy-routing of
packets from client through the Squid box. The Squid box iptables is the
only place TPROXY occurs.

I would seriously advise using multiple NIC/Ports (2 or 3) on the
firewall/router for LAN, Internet, Squid.

Unmarked packets in the Internet NIC are always routed to Squid.
Unmarked packets in the LAN NIC routed to Squid.
With 2 NIC, Squid can TOS mark all packets outgoing, and the firewall
let them through without routing if it needs to. With 3 NIC the TOS
marking is not needed and the source NIC can be used to mark and route.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.12