Re: [squid-users] cannot entry cachemgr.cgi

From: Mike Rambo <mrambo_at_lsd.k12.mi.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:08:24 -0400

Gontzal wrote:
> Hi everybody!!
>
> Iīve installed apache on my squid box for testing cachemgr.cgi, but
> when all is installed, I can't entry to cache manager, it ask for a
> user and a password I donīt know, I've tried multiple users/passw but
> always the same message:
>
> "The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
> cache_object://saturno.iipp.int/
>
> Cache Access Denied.
>
> Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request
> cache_object://saturno.iipp.int/ from this cache until you have
> authenticated yourself."
>
> I've changed the entry on cachemgr.conf form "localhost" to
> "saturno.iipp.int:3128" with no result
>
> I've set "cachemgr_passwd password all" and tried it with users (root,
> squid, admin, webmaster, manager, etc) and nothing

Make sure you allow manager access from more than localhost if you
intend to access from other machines. See 'http_access allow manager' in
squid.conf.

AFAIK the manager name is meaningless. I don't even have to provide one
to get into cachemgr.cgi. The password is the one you provide per the
last line you quoted above. With the exact line as you have it above
your password would be 'password' for all operations.

I left localhost in cachemgr.conf but added both the hostname and ip
address of the squid server to that file. You then need to specify one
of those entries on the cache host line of the login dialog. Either
should work.

--
Mike Rambo
Life takes a bit of time and a lot of relationship.