Re: [squid-users] Compression in HTTPS traffic

From: Leonardo Rodrigues <leolistas_at_solutti.com.br>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:44:38 -0200

squid squid escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I am running Squid Version 2.7 Stable 4 on a Linux ES3 box with 2.5GB RAM.
>
> Basically there is no caching configured on the squid apps and it is being used like a middle man between client and web/apps servers which has both http and https transaction.
>
> Would like to know does squid support compression for https transaction (ie. CONNECT xxx.xxx.com:443")???
>
> If it does, is thecompression by default or is there some settings or configuration needed???
>
> I am asking cause httpwatch indicated no compression when I accessed https website through squid proxy. However if I accessed the https website directly, httpwatch does show that there are compression.

i think this has nothing to do with HTTPS. It's indeed related to the
fact that Squid is NOT fully HTTP/1.1 compliant. Squid can RECEIVES
HTTP/1.1 requiests, but it only sends HTTP/1.0 requests. And in
HTTP/1.0, compression is not supported.

So all requests done by a squid wont have any compression at all. HTTP
and HTTPS ones. And that's because of squid being a HTTP/1.0 proxy.

--
	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues