Re: [squid-users] Using Squid in a WiFi hotspot environment

From: Kaya Saman <SamanKaya_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0200

Many thanks Fahd and Matthew!

So I was correct initially by thinking that CoovaChilli ran on the
Linksys WRT range of routers.

This I guess is great for a pocket installation but not what I'm looking
for hardware wise at least. I believe that the software is probably what
I'm looking for but I need it specifically to interface with Cisco kit
and since Cisco IOS operating system is proprietary it definitely will
*not* run on Cisco access points.

Fahd you mention something about a portal.... is there any software that
will actually do URL redirects to a login page?? I am guessing it would
be called a portal!

The reason why I am sticking to Cisco is that I know the H/W capability
and also am fed up with GUI displays for config..... another reason why
I solely use UNIX systems for servers and desktop environments :-)

Since Squid seems like it's not the right software I guess I am getting
a bit off topic here so next best place to post should probably be the
Cisco net Pro forum which should give me better insight.

Many thanks for all comments and opinions, they're much appreciated :-)

--Kaya