Re: [squid-users] Using Squid in a WiFi hotspot environment

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:56:20 +1300

Kaya Saman wrote:
> Many thanks Fahd and Matthew!
>
> So I was correct initially by thinking that CoovaChilli ran on the
> Linksys WRT range of routers.
>
> This I guess is great for a pocket installation but not what I'm looking
> for hardware wise at least. I believe that the software is probably what
> I'm looking for but I need it specifically to interface with Cisco kit
> and since Cisco IOS operating system is proprietary it definitely will
> *not* run on Cisco access points.
>
> Fahd you mention something about a portal.... is there any software that
> will actually do URL redirects to a login page?? I am guessing it would
> be called a portal!

Yes. Squid. deny_info directive and ACLs.

You still need some way for the packets to reach the Squid box though.
Which generally means a routing box to redirect the traffic.

  A Cisco box with WCCP capacity is passable for IPv4-only networks.
Policy routing port-80 traffic to the Squid box is on the whole better
if available and required for non-IPv4 HTTP traffic.

FWIW, Cisco boxes can do policy-routing too, though I'm not aware of the
exact configuration settings.

> The reason why I am sticking to Cisco is that I know the H/W capability
> and also am fed up with GUI displays for config..... another reason why
> I solely use UNIX systems for servers and desktop environments :-)

For the Treehouse Networks wifi hotspots I use a mix of Debian Linux
Squid boxes setup as gateway routers and adapted WRT boxes acting as
access points.
  The WRT do only enough routing to pass everything to the Squid box
routers and some preliminary firewalls to protect inter-client hacking.
Regular AP hardware available do not seem to have sufficient
configure-ability to be usable in this topology. The WRT are very
capable after OpenWRT flashing.

> Since Squid seems like it's not the right software I guess I am getting
> a bit off topic here so next best place to post should probably be the
> Cisco net Pro forum which should give me better insight.
>
> Many thanks for all comments and opinions, they're much appreciated :-)
>
> --Kaya

Amos

--
Please be using