Re: [squid-users] squid support for passing in URLs over HTTP in a URI

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:26:37 +1300

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:20:09 +0000, Blake Dournaee <dournaee1_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> I apologize if this is a newbie question or if it
> has been answered before. I've spent some time on Google and the
> various documentation resources for squid and I have been unable to
> find an answer.
>
> First of all, I am running squid 2.7 STABLE 7 on
> a Windows 7 64-bit machine and the proxy works great when configured in
> Firefox.
>
> However, what I am looking to do is access the proxy
> functionality directly via HTTP - for example, assume I have squid
> running on http://localhost:3128, is it possible for me to pass-in the
> URL to proxy by first accessing the squid proxy server in the browser?
>
> In
> other words, I am looking to be able to do something like:
> http://localhost:3128/?url=www.google.com and then have the request go
> to squid, squid go to google and then the response come directly back
> to the browser. Obviously this syntax above is something I just made
> up, but logically this is what I am looking for.

Why?

Browsers already "access" proxies by formatting their HTTP requests
differently and sending them to the configured proxy.

> Can anyone tell
> me if such functionality currently exists that can be accessed, or if
> there is an API or plug-in that has been written that will enable this?

Not the way you are wanting.

> Finally (in the worst case), is it possible/feasible to modify the
> source to add this feature and if so would it be overly complex to do?
> (I do have dev. experience in Linux and Windows). It certainly *seems*
> like something like the above should be easy to do since squid is a
> proxy.

You can hack up a slightly complicated and fragile config to do it. But
it's better in a lot of ways to simply set the browser config panels
properly.

Amos