[squid-users] squid support for passing in URLs over HTTP in a URI

From: Blake Dournaee <dournaee1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:20:09 +0000

Hello All -

I apologize if this is a newbie question or if it
has been answered before. I've spent some time on Google and the
various documentation resources for squid and I have been unable to
find an answer.

First of all, I am running squid 2.7 STABLE 7 on
a Windows 7 64-bit machine and the proxy works great when configured in
Firefox.

However, what I am looking to do is access the proxy
functionality directly via HTTP - for example, assume I have squid
running on http://localhost:3128, is it possible for me to pass-in the
URL to proxy by first accessing the squid proxy server in the browser?

In
other words, I am looking to be able to do something like:
http://localhost:3128/?url=www.google.com and then have the request go
to squid, squid go to google and then the response come directly back
to the browser. Obviously this syntax above is something I just made
up, but logically this is what I am looking for.

Can anyone tell
me if such functionality currently exists that can be accessed, or if
there is an API or plug-in that has been written that will enable this?
Finally (in the worst case), is it possible/feasible to modify the
source to add this feature and if so would it be overly complex to do?
(I do have dev. experience in Linux and Windows). It certainly *seems*
like something like the above should be easy to do since squid is a
proxy.

Any help, advice, direction or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Blake
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/