Re: [squid-users] Squid proxy is very slow for web browsing in "near default" config

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:17:11 +1300

Dave T wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> Dave T wrote:
>> NP: you probably want icp_access to be limited to local LAN same as
>> http_access is above.
>> Amos
>> --
>
> Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm not sure how I should apply your
> suggestions because my Squid proxy server is not on my LAN. It is
> hosted at Linode.com. I will be accessing it from an Android phone. I
> do not know what IP address the phone may have and I suspect it will
> be a NAT-style address (not a publicly addressable IP).

It will be using some public IP to get to the proxy. If that is the same
IP all the time, use that as the only permitted 'LAN' address.

If the phone is the only user and has changing IP address (dynamic
assigned or dynamic NAT) then yes you will have to omit the source IP
restrictions. You will need to get the auth going pretty quick in that case.

> Shall I follow the rest of your instructions, just leaving out the
> part about LAN addresses, or does this create larger issues?

ICP access should not be needed at all in this case, its for use between
proxies in a hierarchy. You can probably set the port to zero and remove
the icp_access lines altogether.

Amos

--
Please be using