[squid-users] Squid behind another proxy - help with simple config

From: Daniel Iversen <daniel.iversen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:32:51 +1100

Hi there..

I have a seemingly simple requirement that I can't get working in
Squid (2.7 on Windows), and that is to be able to use a a Squid setup
as a proxy server (with aggressive caching) behind another closed-off
corporate proxy server (not squid necessarily) for all Internet HTTP
access going out.

So basically, I have the following config in squid.conf;

cache_peer parent <IP or hostname of my proxy server> 8080 0 no-query default
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
http_access allow all
never_direct allow all

(I used to have the recommended and more secure "http_access"
parameters but reverted to the above for testing but it made no
difference)

I am always getting errors like this;

2010/01/13 15:20:24| Failed to select source for 'http://www.google.com.au/'
2010/01/13 15:20:24|   always_direct = 0
2010/01/13 15:20:24|    never_direct = 1
2010/01/13 15:20:24|        timedout = 0

Its to be noted that in my corporate environment I have to go through
this external proxy to get internet access and I can't even ping
servers from my local machine and probably have limited DNS access
too. So really my Squid server needs to forward all details as-is to
the external proxy but it does not work.

I have also tried experimenting with the following command line
arguments when starting squid " -DY -d 4 -X " but to no avail?

Am I crazy here? Should this not be a simple setup? Any ideas why this
could be? Anyone has a working Squid config for something like this
that they could share?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help..

Cheers,
Daniel