Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy scenario

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:36:57 +1300

Sébastien WENSKE wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have set up a reverse proxy on a 100MB/s server to preserve my home
> bandwidth (upload ~128KB/s). It works very fine, objects are stored in the
> cache and served to the clients. However, I had last week a “rush” on my
> blog, about 1500 visitor in two days that had result to overload my
> connection with a huge amount of 304 queries.

Lucky escape there. How much bandwidth hit the public server? :)

> My question is: Is it possible to tell Squid to not check the parent (my
> local web server) if an object has been modified for a while? by directory
> or mime type?

Squid-2.x has collapsed_forwarding feature, when turned on this reduces
the actual number of requests going back by several hundred to a
thousand percent.

Squid-2.7 also accepts "Cache-Control: stale-while-revalidate" headers
from the server which AFAIK should reduce these 304 messages to one at a
time and Squid sending out the old copy to any clients while it waits
for an update.
   Also the related stale-if-error header which keeps the proxy
providing visible content if the parent server goes offline for a while.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.16