Re: [squid-users] Map Single URL to Multiple Store urls

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:25:35 +0000

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:04:03 -0400, "Ken Struys" <ken_at_struys.ca> wrote:
> Is there anyway to map single url's to multiple store url's based on a
> cookie?
>
> Lets say I have a user cookie and I want to implement caching for logged
> in users.
>
> I there anyway in squid I can append the cookie to the cached url? (in
> squid not on the client side url).

What you are attempting to do is equivalent to those seriously annoying
admin who place session IDs into URLs.
This is a Very Bad Idea. Your cache becomes extremely bloated very fast.
the Cookie header contains a lot of garbage even between requests made by
one user.

How are they logged in?

HTTP authentication...
  add WWW-Authenticate to the Vary: HTTP headers.

Web-based login...
  break each page down into modules and objects, setting public on the
common objects. private on very specific private objects and personal data.
AJAX / Web2.0 stuff can help here.

And yes, if you read between those lines, this type of control can only be
implemented safely by the website author.

> I've looked at doing storeurl_rewrite_programs but they don't receive
> cookie information (or anything else useful) as input.

They receive the URL and source info. Which for the purpose of _reducing_
duplicate objects is quite useful.

Amos