[squid-users] transparent redirect and http 302 redirects

From: Ethan Miller <thnntn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 22:48:13 -0700

Hi there -

I have a somewhat unusual project that's structured similar to the
upside-down-ternet
http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

In my case, we're looking for text patterns in html pages, then
replacing some text, saving the modified text locally (the same
machine runs squid and nginx), and then issuing the redirect for that
modified file.

This basically works - but there is some strange behavior on google
pages. Some images are broken and then clicking on a result gets you
another broken page, while a google URL remains in the address bar.

I have a simpler example that I think illustrates the issue: I use a
little custom php script for quicklinks that I can add as a search
engine in FIrefox. It just takes a string like "g yreka" and issues a
302 redirect to a google search for yreka.

Note that "yreka" is a string of interest for the squid redirector
program. This doesn't happen with other strings that the redirector
does not act upon. (That said, the redirector script isn't looking at
the text in the URL, it's grabbing the page that was requested, and
searching for the text there.)

Without using the proxy, the request/response headers look like this:

GET /?unicmd=g+yreka HTTP/1.1
<etc ...>

HTTP/1.1 302 Found