Re: [squid-users] empty basic/digest realm

From: Khaled Blah <khaled.blah_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:59:26 +0200

The reason is simple. My auth helper reads values (realm:password or
only password) from a certain LDAP attribute, matches one of these
values and then uses the match to compute H(A1). Now, we have
customers whose LDAP attributes only store the password (in
clear-text) and thus they have no realm:password combination which
might be matched. Finally this leads to the assumption that the
associated realm is empty and thus the need for an empty realm.

I don't think the "intention" of the authors can be a valid argument
here since the RFC was created in order not to have to rely on guesses
and intentions when implementing a HTTP client/server.

Regards,
Khaled