Re: [squid-users] Re: Dynamic delay pool status

From: Leonardo Rodrigues <leolistas_at_solutti.com.br>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:37:12 -0300

Em 20/08/2010 10:49, Jean-Baptiste Denis escreveu:

> I know that i can do it, but that's not what i want :) I dislike to idea
> of reserving 1 Mbit for youtube traffic even if the network is idle. If
> the network is idle, there is no reason to limit youtube trafic. On the
> contrary, i don't want to waste 1 Mbit of bandwidth if there is no
> youtube trafic.
>
> I thought you suggest to use the time ACL with very short of time to
> mimic a dynamic delay pool :)

     have you ever tried using tcp_outgoing_tos to mark your 'good' and
'bad' traffic and let Linux QoS system handles your QoS rules ??

     i really think that would be even smarter than having dynamic pools
on squid, as squid does not see your whole traffic, it only see the
http/https generated traffic. Your other traffic (email, DNS, P2P, etc
etc) wouldnt even reach squid.

     if you get squid marking your traffic, get your linux marking your
other good and bad traffic, and get QoS (CBQ, HTB, etc etc) to work
based on the TOS clauses, you can probably acchieve the 'smart'
bandwidth control you want !

--
	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues