Re: [squid-users] Re: Re: Windows Messenger through Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 14:38:54 +1300

On 06/11/10 09:45, gsandorx_at_aol.com wrote:

> I've been even trying using Squid 3.2.0.2, which I manually compiled.
> As you know, Squid 3.2.0.2 has better support for HTTP/1.1 (I thought
> it was something related with that, as Squid 2.6STABLE21 uses
> HTTP/1.0). Now, with the sniffer I see HTTP/1.1 responses from Live
> servers through Squid (when with Squid< 3.2 I was getting HTTP/1.0
> 3.2. Nothing changed.

Darn. There goes the easy fix. :(

With Windows XP between altertions to the proxy settings make absolutely
sure that "proxycfg -u" is run by the admin account. I know there was
quite a muddle of where windows network apps pulled their proxy settings
from during that era. It could be some sub-system below messenger not
picking the settings up properly.

All thats left then is a game of test-and-see to find the differences. A
tcpdump/wireshark trace of the connection traffic for both a proxied and
non-proxied connection from Windows Messenger (NOT the Live version)
will probably be needed to see if there are any other side channels
being made. Or to trace any difference in the headers used.

> I have to use this old software as I have _many_ users with this
> software already installed, and upgrading would be a pain right now.
>
> I don't think the problem is that Live servers are refusing to login
> old releases. I was able to login in from the same clients using direct
> connection and through an ISA server 2006 .... :(

Great. That means you have a repeatable working and non-working for the
comparisons above.

Amos

--
Please be using