[squid-users] Squid 2.7stable7 and ESPN3

From: Jason Howlett <jason_at_jkhowlett.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:34:06 -0700

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu 10.0.4 server running Squid 2.7stable7 (I also tried
Squid 3.0Stable19, but with the same result). I am using the default
squid.conf file with the exception of adding an acl for my local network
and allowing access for that list. If I try to go to the following URL:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index, Squid gets stuck in some sort of
infinite loop where it tries to load that page over and over again. This
happens with both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I dug into the html source for the espn3 page and found the following
line in the header: window.location.href = ud.redirect. If I comment out
that line then everything works correctly when I load my local copy of
the page with the browser still configured to use the proxy server. I
also found that if you set ud.redirect to something else
(www.google.com, for example), then you get redirected there. If squid
is bypassed, then everything works as expected.

I don't know exactly what is happening under the javascript hood and
what interaction with squid might be causing the infinite redirect. Any
help/suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason