Re: [squid-users] Squid & HTTP compression

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:47:49 +1300

On 12/01/11 10:02, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

> squid 2.7 cannot handle HTTP/1.1 which is needed for, among other
> things, the chunk encoding (compression) one. You'll simply not be able
> to get it working with squid 2.7.
>
> i know squid 3.1 has made great improvements on HTTP/1.1 support, but as
> i dont use it, i cannot guarantee you what's working and what's not.
>
> check squid 3.1 changelogs looking for HTTP/1.1 related things. Also i'd
> suggest you to search this mailing list archives, as HTTP/1.1 support on
> squid was vastly discused here by other users.

FWIW:

squid-2.7 and 3.1 have equal levels of support for the various
encodings. Both doing de-coding chunks as required. Neither do any
changes for the deflate/gzip/compress/sdch coding types.

Both have roughly equal handling of coded variants. 3.1.10 and later
have better ETag comparisons.

> Em 11/01/11 14:07, karj escreveu:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a small problem with squid (Squid 2.7.STABLE9).
>>
>> I'm trying to optimize our IIS6 web portal. I activated HTTP compression
>> both for static and dynamic content, and this works OK when the
>> browser asks
>> for content directly to the IIS server ...
>>
>> BUT, when the browser asks for content thru Squid.
>> Content is effectively served by IIS but as the Content-Encoding
>> header is missing, so nor IE or FireFox can handle it !

karj, are you saying that IIS is not adding any header? there is nothing
Squid can do about that. Absence of a header indicates there is no
coding used on that object.

Or are you saying that Squid removes the header without decoding?

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.4