Re: [squid-users] Windows ICS and Squid

From: Alex Crow <alex_at_nanogherkin.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 20:31:54 +0000

On 04/03/11 18:31, squid_at_sourcesystemsonline.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using squid2.7STABLE8 on Windows 7 Ultimate OS.
>
> Presently, i am using the internet connection sharing (ICS) in windows to
> share my internet link among the windows 7 pro workstations BUT i want all
> the internet traffic from clients to go through squid, probably with ICS
> infrastructure. Is it possible and how?
>
> Even though i have full or little control on clients in my network but
> visitors who come with laptops obtain ip automatically and i find it
> difficult to route their internet traffic through squid on the server.
>
> So, Is possible to integrate squid with ICS so that traffic going through
> ICS will pass through squid to the internet?
> Regards,
> Yomi.
Yomi,

As long as you have a host on your network with the hostname "wpad", you
can do proxy autoconfig (ie set in IE/firefox to automatically configure
network connection).

On that server, you need a webserver to serve a file called wpad.dat,
which is a Javascript file which defines the rules for how to connect to
http hosts.

Google for "proxy PAC", "squid PAC", "squid proxy autoconfiguration" and
you will find a lot on how to do it.

Java has to be set up separately, at least in firefox, as "use browser
settings" for the plugin does not seem to work - you have to point Java
explicitly to the URL of the wpad.dat file.

Cheers

Alex