Re: [squid-users] Fastest peer without ICP ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:56:30 +1300

On 29/03/11 21:39, Yucong Sun (叶雨飞) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> So I have a squid a configured with several remote parent, with no ICP
> port available (as the http port is tunneled in between)
>
> I think ICP serves both QUERY and HEALTH CHECK function in squid, but
> I can't tunnel udp packets
>
> SQUID A -> SQUID B
> -> SQUID C
> -> SQUID D
>
> Due to the fact that the link in between is all different and possibly
> in-stable from time to time, I would want A to try to fetch from
> multiple peers at once and use which ever returns first.
>
> Could this be done?
>
> A alternative is to have squid detect dead/slow peer, I know this is
> porbably done in ICP, but I can't tunnel udp packets.

What type of tunnel is this that cannot transfer a particular protocol?

Squid takes measures of HTTP connect times, ICP response times, HTCP
response times and if the "pinger" is installed ICMP active destination
probing. All of these affect the RTT measure on a cache_peer.

Squid *will not* fetch from multiple peers at once. HTTP does not permit
it by design. ICP and HTCP probes are used in parallel to determine if a
peer is worth contacting. In their absence peers are tried in an
sequential order assigned by the selection algorithm.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5