Re: [squid-users] TOS from remote to squid(2 series)

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:40:26 +0100

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 21:24 +0800, jiluspo wrote:
> therefore squid 3.2 still cant preserve TOS value from remote server to
> clients.

Correct.

> hmn. what about the zph that requires kernel patch?

zph and qos_flows are the same thing. The names differ between different
versions of Squid.

> would it work with
> remote servers?

Should do.

To avoid a kernel patch (using v3.2), what you could do, is to use the
iptables tos match to set a mark on a packet, and then match the mark in
Squid. For example:

iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -m tos --tos 0x4 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4

will transfer a TOS value of 0x4 to a mark value of 0x4. You could
transfer this back again in the POSTROUTING chain using a similar
method.

> lastly, what about its performance degradation(req/sec and service time) if
> we add this feature.

Performance degradation should be minimal, although I haven't run any
benchmarks.

Andy