[squid-users] adding an error-based class/id to the body of error pages

From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr+squid_at_g.jct.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 00:27:16 +0300

Hi all,
I was wondering if in the the official version of squid 3.1 it would
be possible to change <body> to <body id="%c"> in the errorpages.

Of course on a technical level it is possible and I have already
implemented this locally by us, so what is my reasoning?

Very simple, in our organization we would love to use the new
auto-negotiating multi-lingual error-pages however this brings one
problem we have users from all over the world and we can't guarantee
that the user will translate the error message correctly when he/she
calls the helpdesk, of course the actual error code is hidden in the
code but to ask the user to view source is also going a bit far.

So as a solution we want to use colored backgrounds based on the error message.
Obviously using sed or a similar tool I could add the css into the
various ERR_* files to be different for each file but I think the
nicest solution is that in the errorpages.css file I can just write
#SQUID_ERR_CODE {/*css goes here*/}, or #SQUID_ERR_CODE div {}, etc.

Using sed in our installed base I replaced all <body> tags with <body
id="%c"> but I would love to see this change upstream because now I
have to remember that when the squid package gets updated I have to
again replace the body-tags in all the error messages.

Let me know what you think and thank you very much,
Eli Rosenberg