Re: [squid-users] Squid work consideration

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:15:41 +1300

 On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:02:47 +0530, benjamin fernandis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have some basic queries which i would like to clear from your
> suggestions and knowledge sharing.
>
> 1) How squid identity web object size ?
>
> My understanding : Squid identifies web object size by http headers
> for that web object
>
> M i right ?

 Headers are optional and only determine future size expectations. For
 optimal calculation and placement before the transfer starts.

 Data actually transfered during the response processing is used for all
 objects. Including those without size headers, which have to be assumed
 to be very large/infinite until they are complete.

> 2) Suppose i define maximum_object_size on disk is 4 GB. then as per
> squid consideration , squid will store web objects which are <= 4
> GB.so how to validate that this object which is <= 4GB is stored on
> disk by squid for further cache gain?

 Disk is optional. A 16GB RAM cache might store 4 of them without any
 disk.

 There are several ways to locate an object:
  * use tools such as redbot.org to see if the object is actually
 storable.
  * use a HEAD (or GET) request, and see if the response was a HIT or
 MISS.
  * locate it in the cachemgr "objects" report. (maybe a very long, slow
 mgr response).
  * scan the swap.state journals to see if its had SWAPOUT done but not
 RELEASE.
  * use the purge tool to scan the disk cache object by object and see
 if it is there.

 Amos